8.18.2010

In the Waiting Room

The other day I was talking to my dear friend Stacy about waiting.

I shared with her the circumstances in my own life that have driven me back to those many and varied "wait on the Lord" Scriptures.

And then she told me a story that she prefaced by saying, "Jennifer, I always go back to this...and it may be a horrible analogy, but I'll tell you about it anyway."

So she was genuinely surprised when I called her back later to seek her permission to write about her story that I liked so much. This is what she told me.

Back in the 1980's, ID bracelets were popular. Stacy was in 3rd or 4th grade, and all of her friends were proudly wearing bracelets that had their names engraved into them. She wanted one so badly, she said.

She had a favorite aunt who knew of her heart's desire and one day presented her with a gift to open. But unfortunately, this particular aunt could never remember how to spell Stacy's name correctly on birthday cards or anything else. And in typical fashion, the ID bracelet that Stacy lifted from the box that day had the letters S-T-A-C-I-E emblazoned on it. When her aunt realized her mistake, she said, "Oh! I'm so sorry, dear. Why don't you just give it back to me, and I'll exchange it for another one with your name spelled right?"

Stacy, clutching the precious bracelet, refused. She had wanted one so badly, for so long, that she just could not bear the thought of parting with it for a short time, even though her name was wrong. So she kept it.

And the end of the story is this - she never even wore it.

"At that time," Stacy said to me, "I would rather have possessed that bracelet immediately and have it wrong - than to wait...and have it right."

When my friend made that statement, a thousand implications came to mind...but one thought in particular began to crystallize for me. Our culture of instant gratification doesn't encourage us to be patient for much. Not for our fast food, not for U.S. mail, and certainly not for our internet connection speed. Which makes it all the more difficult to wait for the big things in life - the right opportunity, the right spouse, the right resolution to a difficult problem or trial. Everyone agrees that it's hard to be patient.

But as I sit here in life's waiting room, I am pondering this possibility, thanks to Stacy's story:

The Lord, in His amazing sovereignty, sometimes keeps us from getting stuck with those incorrectly-spelled ID bracelets. The wait is what enables us to bypass the things that aren't in His plan for us. That is why we can trust Him, even while we're twiddling our thumbs in the waiting room.

And when the phone finally does ring, and the person on the other end says, "Your bracelet is ready now," it will be a sight to behold. Not a mis-spelled name that fills you with regret every time you lay eyes on it, but a personalized work finished by the One who promises this very thing...

"...that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." (Philippians 1:6)

I'm trusting Him today.

13 comments:

  1. This is so timely for me, Jennifer! Thank you and please thank Stacy for sharing it. I don't know if there are others out there that this story was meant for but it was definitely meant for me.

    Blessings,
    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  2. This hit me in the right spot. I am impatiently waiting these days for our baby, but I know that God has the RIGHT child fit for our family for us; and His timing is perfect. But the head knowledge and heart knowledge don't always connect! Thanks for posting this; it is a great reminder that the Lord is sovereign and is faithful!

    yestoadoption.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this message! I really needed to be reminded of this this week. Thank you!

    Blessings,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waiting is so, so hard. You would think by now I would learn that His way is always best. This is a great analogy for that, and I will continue to wait on Him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a post. Reminded me of C.S. Lewis! That is a great analogy. I also often Praise God that He doesn't always give us what we think we want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Jennifer, what a powerful message this post is!! Thank you for sharing this story with us. Blessings to you and yours!!

    Love,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great reminder, Jennifer!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coincidence! That Cranberry Morning mentioned C.S. - because I wanted to send you this quote. I'd say it fits you and your writing...

    Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it.
    C. S. Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jennifer, this is a beautiful message! It is so hard to wait on the Lord throughout our trials, or even the slow moments of everyday life.

    When I was in 7th grade, Kaepa shoes were popular here in Texas - but you had to have the leather ones, not the canvas ones. Well, my mom was a single parent and on a tight budget. She finally agreed to buy me some, but the ones at the store were a 1/2 size too small. Fearing Mom wouldn't agree to buy them again if we left the store without them, I said they fit great. I did wear those shoes proudly every day, and my toes ached every night. I hurt myself (literally), because I was afraid to wait for the right fit. Sometimes we make ourselves learn the hard way.

    I'm a new follower from Meet & Greet blog hop. So glad I found you!

    ~Jodi
    www.magicalmouseschoolhouse.com, where Disney IS school!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there,

    New follower from Meet and Greet Monday. I love these blog hops, they are great ways to meet some really awesome people. :)

    Hoping you'll drop by for a visit whenever you get a moment. Thanks

    Marie
    The Things We Find Inside

    ReplyDelete
  11. Preach it Sister! LOL. Seriously, this is probably the best thing I have read about being a Mama in a long time. I'm right with you on this! Our children will be fine as long as we love them, support them and help them! Oh I am putting this on my friday five post tomorrow!!! :) Thanks so much for being real! (BTW, if this went through a few times. I apologize, Blogger was acting funky!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...wonderful analogy. Thank you for sharing.

    Visiting from Mingle Monday. :)
    http://blog.thislifeofours.net/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...