6.07.2011

A Farris Wheel Blogiversary

I just observed my one-year blogiversary. It’s time for a look back. Some Farris Wheel maintenance and evaluation, if you will.

I began writing regularly in May of last year, with the goal of trying to get something up here at least once a week, if not more. Considering that this is my 74th post, I’m pleased to see that I stuck to it fairly well, with the exception of a few off-weeks.

In the beginning, I was amazed to discover that about 52 gazillion other people just like me were doing the same thing I was. Blogs everywhere! A veritable blog explosion on the Internet! All the cool kids were doing it! So the idea of anybody actually reading what I write here was amazing to me, even if it was just 5 friends and my mom.

So last summer I went crazy trying to reach out to other bloggers, commenting on other blogs like a maniac, because that’s what they say you’re supposed to do. The Farris Wheel was spinning round and round at a rapid clip. It was like splatter paint. BAM! I’m everywhere! No method to my madness! You’ve got a blog? Then I’ve got something to say about what you said! Some of the splatter paint stuck, like I had hoped, and other bloggers found me, too. But I think some of it just…dripped. In ineffective streaks.

I knew I didn’t have a niche. I didn’t have a target. I didn’t have a gimmick or a sponsor. All I really wanted to do was write, whether it was a reason for my faith, or a reason why the “elf on a shelf” creeps me out. I just wanted the freedom to have a place of my own to express my thoughts, and I hoped that some of it might be meaningful (or sometimes, just entertaining) to someone out there. That’s the barebones mission statement here.

Below is the original photograph I used on the blog. I took it a couple of years ago at the traveling carnival that always stops in my town, as we were perched precariously at the top of the rusty ferris wheel. I liked the not-very-subtle, in-your-face black letters, imploring us (politely) to refrain from being idiotic. Not rocking the seat should really go without saying, it would seem. Thankfully, I have not had to deal with any pesky seat-rockers here. Everyone has been cordial to one another. Even the elf-on-a-shelf proponents were kind in their presentation of the opposing viewpoint. Let’s keep it that way, shall we?

IMG_1338

Here we are, a year later, and the Farris Wheel is now spinning at a more comfortable pace. If you’re still here, and you haven’t fallen off yet, then that’s good. I think I might have a few more visitors than 5 plus my mom, but I never really know. So I’d like to take this moment to wave to my favorite readers who don’t comment. (Hi Cade! Hi Dad! Hi Debbie! And you girls from twitter!) And I would also like to thank those of you who interact with me here. I always appreciate everything you say.

Coming up with bloggable ideas is always the biggest challenge, but as long as they keep coming, I plan to continue. This has been extremely enjoyable for me, and I hope it has been for you, too.

I’ll keep writing the Farris Wheel if you lovely readers will keep riding it. (Oh, how I do love that pun.) Thanks for sticking with me. And speaking of sticking…here, have some cotton candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...