7.17.2011

7/17: Ark Day

Today’s Farris Wheel is for my mom. It’s her birthday.

She is amazingly talented, thoughtful, generous, funny, and smart. I admire her and the way she sees the world. I am thankful for all she has done for me, proud of who she is, and blessed to be her daughter. And friend.

And, regardless of historical calendars and scholarly commentaries, I think it’s very neat that “the seventeenth day of the seventh month” is mentioned in the Bible. Because really, can you say that about your birthdamount araraty? I didn’t think so.

Genesis 8:4 says, “And on the seventeenth day of the seventh month the ark came to rest on the mountains of Ararat.” This is picture of what that mountain looks like today in Turkey…

So, after 150 days of rocking and rolling on the waves, Noah’s ark stopped tossing and turning on day 17 of month 7. And soon after that, the floodwaters receded and a rainbow came out, accompanied by God’s promise. A good day, indeed.

You know how you can easily look up what happened on your birthday in history? (Disneyland opened on this day in 1955, mom, in case you were wondering. Wheeee!) But I wish it were possible to look up “On this day in biblical history” to see what was going on way back then on any given day.

On this day in biblical history…Jesus healed the man born blind.

On this day in biblical history…David triumphed over Goliath.

On this day in biblical history…the lions’ mouths were shut tight.

But mom, I actually can’t think of a better biblical birthday to have than what I call Ark Day. Except maybe the resurrection. That one pretty much trumps all, you know. I am sure for the people aboard, Ark Day was a day of rest, relief, and hope in the promise of God. And in the same way, I hope that’s the theme of your day today.

Happy Birthday, Mom. I love you!

cohdra_100_4441

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...