9.16.2011

Do Everything

It was a regular day. I was driving around town, running errands, flitting like a butterfly from destination to destination, knocking out the responsibilities one by one. My mental checklist was whirring in predictable fashion: don’t forget to pick up milk and bread and fruit roll-ups. Drop off those letters at the post office. And when you get home, for the sake of all that is righteous and good, get that laundry out of the washing machine before it mildews. And for the sake of all that is sanitary, address the kids’ bathroom!

But then, the left-brain mental checklist started to falter a bit, as it sometimes does, and was eclipsed by the more free-thinking right brain.

The side that says…

man, this is borrrrring. Blaaahhhhh. I need something interesting to happen! Some earth-shattering revelation. Some unique observation to make about the world. But instead of setting the world on fire, I am just living. Like normal. And tomorrow will probably, more than likely, (definitely), be a lot like today.

Reflexively, I turned on the radio. There was an infectious intro to a song I had never heard, and then the unmistakable voice of Steven Curtis Chapman took over my speakers. The man still knows how to write a song that will hook you right from its opening bars. I felt compelled to turn it up when I heard something about matching up socks. Hadn’t I just been comtemplating my laundry? And then he said something like…do you wonder sometimes if it matters at all?

Well actually, Steven, now that you mention it, I kind of do. Then came the hook…the bouncy chorus that is running through my head, even now:

“Do everything you do to the glory of the One who made you.”

And that particular line wasn’t even Steven’s original thought. That’s Paul. 1 Corinthians 10:31. A great reminder to me that day…that it ALL matters. He made us to do even our little things to bring a smile to His face.

What do my daily, mundane responsibilities have to with God? They are part of what He made me to do. Part of living. Little things, big things, it doesn’t matter. So therefore, I can do them, do everything, unto Him. For his glory. If we say we are living for God, we don’t just live part of our lives for Him…we live it all for Him.

So please, if you are on the roundy-round, over-and-over again daily ride, take a minute to listen to Steven’s song today. Lyrics are below and youtube link is below that. I can assure you it will give you a lift…and a renewed sense of purpose. It did for me.

You’re picking up toys on the living room floor for the 15th time today
Matching up socks and sweeping up lost Cheerios that got away
You put a baby on your hip and color on your lips and head out the door
And while I may not know you, I bet I know you wonder sometimes, does it matter at all?
Well let me remind you it all matters just as long as you…

Do everything you do to the glory of the One who made you
Cause He made you to do
Every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace
With every move that you make
And every little thing you do

Maybe you’re that guy with the suit and tie, maybe your shirt says your name,
You may be hooking up mergers, cooking up burgers, but at the end of the day…little stuff, big stuff, in between stuff, God sees it all the same, and while I may not know you, I bet I know you wonder sometimes, does it matter at all?
Well let me remind you it all matters just as long as you…

Maybe you’re sitting in math class
Maybe on a mission in the Congo
Maybe you’re working at the office
Singing along with the radio
Maybe you’re dining at a five star
Or feeding orphans in Myanmar
Anywhere and everywhere you are
Whatever you do it all matters
So do what you do, and don’t ever forget to

Do everything you do to the glory of the One who made you
Cause He made you to do
Every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace
With every move that you make
And every little thing you do

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...